I've often told people that we are a miniature circus, the music plays in my head most anywhere we go... I know people think I'm joking but seriously, the circus theme fits our family quite well. I am going to give you a glimpse of our life, this shot comes from our evening meal at the dinner table.
Our conversation tonight went from talking about playing the violin to discussing that many people who play one instrument can also play another. Natalie says "So, I can be a violin and a piano?" Toni replies, with a laugh, "no you can't 'be' a violin. You can be a violinist and a pianist."
Natalie starts using these new words with her personal brand of very poor pronunciation. When I heard the words she was saying, I suggested that we might say she is a piano player. "Why mom?" Well, because, sweetie, sometimes when we say a word in the wrong way, it sounds like a word that little girls shouldn't be saying all the time (or ever). :) Natalie asks again, "Why? What word does it sound like?" I told her to trust me and just say piano player. I look over at Halli who has a look of serious concentration on her face. "Halli, don't try to figure the word out, just don't say pianist." Halli replies in her oh-so-innocent voice, "But mom, I wasn't trying to figure it out, I was just thinking." Yeah right. I then tell Halli to just admit she's caught and carry on. No excuses, no trying to get around it, just move on.
As I finished my words of advice, I used an old phrase that I heard my mom use all the time... You know, "I didn't just fall off the cabbage truck." Natalie laughs uncontrollably. "Why were you on a cabbage truck?" Then through her laughter "What IS a cabbage truck?" sigh. The entire table was doubled over in laughter. Natalie laughed until she cried. And to think, we as families have to be coaxed into sitting down at the table and enjoying a family meal. In our house, it's some of the best entertainment around.
As Natalie went to bed tonight, she hugged me and told me she had so much fun at dinner. As she walked away, under her breath, I heard her say "A cabbage truck." Her laughter echoed down the stairs. And the music plays on....
Monday, September 24, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Love it.
Post a Comment