Thursday, March 12, 2009

an empty bed



During our trip, we were allowed to visit Natalie's orphanage. Seeing the orphanage was a rare privilege. I won't show all the photos. Those are for Natalie to decide what she wants to do with them. But, this is the room where Natalie slept. All these cribs and one nanny to care for the babies through the night. As I understand it, the ratio at Natalie's orphanage is considered very good. Sad. Natalie's bed is the second from the left. When we went to the orphanage, Natalie's bed was empty. Her little blankies were folded, waiting on another little person to come along. Sadly, I'm sure it didn't take long at all to fill Natalie's bed. We toured the orphanage with smiles on our faces while our hearts were breaking for the little people we had to leave behind. It's a day I'll never forget. Natalie's nanny asked to hold Natalie one last time. In the few short days Natalie had been with us, she recognized that we were "hers." She wouldn't go to the nanny from my arms. The nanny turned away and wiped her tears. I cherish that. Not the nanny's sadness, but knowing that she cared for the babies that much... what a gift!

1 comment:

Jill and Rick said...

I'll never forget that day either, Kim. I'm so thankful that we have you guys to share these memories with!

Jill